Wednesday 31 December 2008

So that was 2008..

and it's obligatory at this point in the year to look at the things you did well, the things you did not so well, and the lessons you have learned.

Starting with the lowlights, I'm evidently not good at losing weight (I'm heavier now than I was at this point last year), and I'm not good at falling off bikes gracefully. In 2009 I intend to become better at the former, and give up doing the latter entirely (if only).

So what about the achievements? Well, at this point last year, I was struggling with an immense amount of self-doubt, mirroring the reactions of those around me when they learned what I was up to. I now know that there was no need for such doubt, and that you never know until you try.

In the year:
4,465 miles on the bike
One 10 mile Time Trial (in under 30 minutes)
One club reliability ride (in February no less)
10 Audaxes
10 UK Sportives
1 Etape du Tour (without getting off and walking)
No broom wagons!

And the lessons? Just one really. If there is something you would like to do, do it. Do it now.

It's like the proverb. "Never put of until tomorrow what you can do today". After all, if you do it today and like it, you can do it again tomorrow.

Happy New Year all.

Clive

1 comment:

the E.Port Sloth said...

I already knew you weren't too good at the former and nobody is any good at the latter (me included as the scars on my knees and elbows from my youth testify).
As for doubting you - Well I certainly doubted your sanity (still do!) but once I witnessed your determination I didn't doubt you would finish the Etape.
I still think Easyjet is a better way of getting from London to Edinburgh and back. But hey, if you like spending your leasure time exhausted and in pain then go for it.